Thursday, July 12, 2007

Ah Mac Folk...

So I just the other day got a new cell phone. The funny thing is that I have gotten strange looks from my coworkers who have the prototypical "I-Life". See I just got a blackberry pearl… an all inclusive PDA, Web Browser, MP3 Player, Cell Phone device. And the best part is I got it for free (GO T-Punkt). So I show up at work and my friend (NAME HIDDEN FOR SAKE OF PROTECTING THE IDIOTS) says, "Hey!!! You got a new phone… oh, its just a blackberry…" which made me look at her like, "WTF!" Of couse she is one of the hip and utterly stupid people who waited for hours in line to get a craptastic, battery soldered, non-activated, piece of crap called THE I-PHONE. She proceeded to whip out her new worthless MP3 player… which is all it is good for until it can get activated, way to go Apple. I then proceeded to make fun of her for purchasing a $500 MP3 player.

Granted there are a couple cool things about the I-PHONE. It is fairly cool how it has a touch-screen and a nice smooth transition between screens and programs… or should I call them widgets. But for the most part it is a glorified Internet browsing, MP3 player. She then tried to rip into me buying a blackberry. She made some compelling arguments, always beginning with, "Why would you pay for…". The best part was after she finished her 25 minute rant on why I shouldn’t pay for a blackberry, I conclude the conversation by saying, "Well good thing I didn’t pay for it then…" which pissed her off something royal and caused her to have to take a break. This caused me to think about something. My friends are fairly super-intelligent with computers, and I know an ok amount, enough to get by. And I cannot count the amount of times we have quoted Max Hsu’s blog about the and I quote, "…intangible feeling of creativity…" and proceeded to laugh our asses off. So every time I get into conversation at work with the resident MAC users I just laugh at how computer illiterate they are. I also love how they are so protective of their precious macs. It is almost the same thing as when you make fun of someone whom you suspect to be gay and you tell them they are gay and they get super defensive. It is the same situation when you tell a person who owns a mac how stupid they are for spending double the amount of money on a computer that does the same job as a dell PC. The only difference is that intangible feeling of creativity.

1 comment:

Brett said...

I like the intangible feeling of intelligence that any computer that isn't a Mac gives me whenever I use it.

Oh wait. That is tangible. Because I didn't over pay. Which, of course, is everyones God given right to do...but I still think it is dumb.

Widgets is a cute name though. Kudos to that.